Iowa taxpayers benefit from the Wynne Decision

After the Supreme Court ruled that Maryland applied their out-of-state tax credit in a way that may lead to double taxation, Iowa has also changed the way it calculates and applies the out-of-state tax credit. If you are in a school district that imposes the School District Surtax or the EMS Surtax (click here for a list of districts that impose the surtax) AND have paid taxes on earnings in another state, you may be eligible for a refund.

To claim your refund you must amend your tax returns and recalculate the School District Surtax or EMS surtax for that year. Tax returns for 2012, 2013, and 2014 are all open for amending until April 30, 2016. The Iowa Department of Revenue has advised that years prior to 2012 might not be eligible for a refund due to the normal 3 year statute of limitations.

Click here for additional information and FAQs from Iowa Department of Revenue.



Shane Eloe About Shane Eloe

Shane has 12 years of experience in public practice and specializes in working with agriculture and construction businesses. If you have questions for Shane, please send him an email. To see his latest posts click here. Click here to connect with Shane on LinkedIn.

%d bloggers like this: